In dependence upon God, with love for those who are fearful of bearing
children and with charity toward those holding differing opinions
regarding the sanctity of life and abortion, we of The AALC:
1. Affirm that human life from conception is created in the image
of God and is always sacred. Galatians 1:15, Jeremiah 1:5
2. Understand that an induced abortion is a sin before God against
mankind because it ends a unique human life for which God has a plan
that would bring glory to Him and benefit to fellow human beings.
3. Advocate the exercise of sexual and procreative acts only within the
framework of marriage in accordance with the teaching of God's Word
so as to diminish the temptation to turn to abortion.
4. Deplore the legal permissiveness that denies protection to the
weakest and most defenseless of the human family, the unborn. We
view this as an irresponsible and morally reprehensible neglect of
God's gift of human life.
5. Reject the practice of induced abortion.
6. Acknowledge that there may be rare cases in which the mother's
physical life is clearly and directly threatened and where all other
possible alternatives to saving the lives of both mother and child
have been exhausted, that abortion may be a tragic option.
7. Recognize that civil law is a significant factor in shaping the
judgement of citizens concerning that which is right and wrong. The
current legal climate of total permissiveness regarding abortion,
teaches that human life has diminished significance or value.
8. Urge that pastors, counselors and others dealing with the "other
victim", the mother herself, as well as fathers and others responsible
for and involved in the practice of abortion, be knowledgeable and
sensitive about the profound guilt, remorse and shame that accompanies
abortion and be diligent in ministering the Gospel of forgiveness
and new life through Jesus Christ to them.
9. Urge pastors to lovingly counsel women with problem pregnancies
to avail themselves of options in dealing with the child other than
abortion and that we strive to provide loving care, guidance and
means to facilitate such options to the mother.
10. Urge Christians everywhere to patiently strive through prayer,
proclamation of God's Word regarding the sanctity of human life and
all Christian and legal means to effect the changes in law necessary
to provide full protection for all unborn and born children.
THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED
That The AALC, here meeting in convention, urge its congregations
and members to take a strong stand against abortion and become actively
involved in supporting those groups and ministries that are endeavoring
to protect the sanctity of human life and are providing positive
support and ministry to men and women who are experiencing crisis
pregnancies or otherwise need Christian care and comfort and the
forgiving love of Christ.